Bread is a good source of carbohydrates, which are essential for energy. Wholemeal and seeded type breads are more “satisfying” than white breads and rolls and have a more stable effect on blood sugar levels.
In the case of breads, high ﬁbre content is associated with varieties such as wholemeal, wholegrain, seeded etc. These breads have a beneﬁcial effect on the gut and help to improve overall digestive health. Wholegrain breads are a convenient and palatable way for adults and children to obtain additional ﬁbre in the diet.
Generally speaking, bread is considered to be a low-fat food, since the main ingredients tend to be virtually fat free. Breads that contain seeds, nuts and the germ of the wheat will have some small amount of fat per serving, but it is of the healthy variety (wheat ﬂour has no trans fat, and only 17 per cent of its overall fat content is saturated).
Many people are not aware that bread contains the important mineral calcium, as ﬂour generally tends to be fortiﬁed with this nutrient. Therefore, a cheese sandwich is a convenient way to obtain your daily calcium.
There are now lots of tasty varieties of breads that can be enjoyed as a simple piece of toast or as part of a more sophisticated meal. A dense, dark bread pairs very well with smoked ﬁsh, while a toasted slice of sourdough is wonderful with mashed avocado as a snack or side dish.
Freezing your bread is both convenient and reduces wastage. Here are some tips:
• You can freeze store-bought bread directly in the freezer. The plastic bag it came in will keep it protected for a few weeks.
• If you’re making your own bread, save time by baking several loaves of bread at once and freeze the extras.
• Slice your loaves before you put them into the freezer. This will allow you to defrost only the amount you need.
• You can freeze bread dough instead of ﬁnished loaves. Just add an extra 15 minutes to the baking time.
• A whole loaf can be thawed in the fridge overnight or left at room temperature for 3 hours. Individual slices can go straight in the toaster.
BENEFITS OF BREAD