Cook simply, cook smart: learn how to poach chicken perfectly (and read on for tips on how to transform it into three easy meals):
Prepare 5 minutes plus cooling
Cook 1 hour 40 minutes
- 1 onion, quartered
- 4 sticks celery, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 1 leek, roughly chopped
- ½ bunch coriander
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.4kg SpinneysFood Whole Chicken
1. Put the onion, celery, leek and coriander in a large saucepan or casserole dish set over a medium heat. Top up with at least 2 litres water, then cover with a lid and bring to a gentle simmer.
2. Set a large frying pan with the oil over a medium-high heat. Season the chicken, add to the pan and fry until lightly browned.
3. Place in the saucepan or casserole dish, adding more water, if needed, to cover. Replace the lid and simmer for 1 hour 20 minutes, until cooked. Remove the chicken and leave to cool completely.
4. Strain the stock and transfer 600ml to an airtight container. Tip the vegetables into a separate container and put both in the fridge. Pour the remaining stock into an airtight container and freeze for another time.
5. Once cool enough to handle, shred the chicken and transfer to an airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.
The frozen stock is a great standby for risotto, sauces, gravy and soups.
Use the poached chicken, as well as the vegetables that flavoured it, to make this chicken and yogurt soup:
Be inspired to create something a little different with these chicken satay noodle jars, using 200g of the shredded chicken:
With what's left, try your hand at a simple spiced Mexican salad: