- 5 spinneysFOOD Free Range Eggs, plus 4 whites
- 500g spinneysFOOD Caster Sugar
- 300g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300g spinneysFOOD Self-Raising Flour
- 3 tbsp strawberry jam
- 600ml double cream
- 250g strawberries, hulled and halved, plus extra to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 140°C, gas mark 1. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Using an 18cm cake tin or plate as a template, draw a circle on each tray.
- Whisk the 4 egg whites in an electric stand mixer until you have stiff peaks. Gradually add 200g sugar, a tablespoon at a time, until thick and glossy.
- Divide the meringue equally between the circles, spreading the mixture to the edges with a spatula.
- Cook for 1 hour, turn the oven off and leave to cool completely with the door closed. Once cool, remove and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Grease and line 2 x 20cm round cake tins.
- Beat the butter and remaining sugar until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the whole eggs and vanilla then stir in the flour.
- Divide between the tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tins for 10 minutes then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Assemble only when you’re ready to serve. Place one sponge on a cake stand. Spread with half the jam and place a meringue layer on top.