- butter, for greasing
- 1 spinneysFOOD Free Range Egg
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2-3 drops Worcestershire sauce
- 125g parmesan, grated
- 2 sheets ready-rolled puff pastry
- 25g sesame seeds (optional)
- Grease and line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Whisk together the egg, mustard and Worcestershire sauce, season and stir in the parmesan until you end up with a stiff paste.
- Unroll a sheet of pastry onto a chopping board covered with a large piece of baking paper. Spread the cheese mixture all over the pastry in an even layer.
- Lay the second sheet of pastry on top and press down firmly. Place a layer of baking paper over the top and roll the pastry into a rectangle about 30cm x 20cm.
- Use a pizza cutter to slice the pastry into 30 1cm wide strips. Cut each strip in half widthways. Twist the strips into candy cane shapes and transfer to the baking trays.
- Sprinkle with the sesame seeds, if using, and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4.
- Bake the canes for 12-15 minutes until the pastry is crisp and light golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Tie several canes together with ribbon or string, if you like.