1. In the run up to the event, dancers should follow their normal regime focusing on slow releasing carbohydrates: lean protein, fruit, vegetables and water. It is important that they ensure the body is well hydrated before the performances.
2. On the day of the event, eat lightly and only foods which you are accustomed to eating as you don’t want to risk any digestive issues or tummy upsets.
3. Have your pre-event meal some hours beforehand to allow it to digest fully and be sure to eat lightly. Something like grilled or poached fish or chicken with steamed vegetables would be ideal. Avoid raw salads that can cause some bloating and gas. An hour or so beforehand, a light snack would be advised.
- Rice cake with Spinneys FOOD nut butter
- Plain yogurt with ½ a banana and some spinneysFOOD Mixed Nuts
- Rye crackers or oatcakes with a spoonful of spinneysFOOD Hummus or cottage cheese
Don’t forget to keep well hydrated, and avoid ‘energy’ type products or drinks that can cause nausea, due to the concentration of sugars. Stick with plain water or coconut water or very well diluted juice.
During the event (break times)
The ideal break time snack should include something like 3-5 spinneysFOOD Dates, which would help to replace carbohydrate stores naturally. A little juice, water or laban would be enough. Alternatively, a small tub of kefir with dried fruit, a small slice of wholegrain bread with spinneysFOOD Honey, a spinneysFOOD cereal bar, or a couple of spoons of quinoa with a little diced tofu would also be extremely beneficial.
Don’t forget to re-hydrate with plain water and avoid coffee or tea as they are diuretics.
1. Once again, you should aim to have a small snack similar to break time directly after the performance. This is the time when your muscles are like ‘sponges‘and it’s at this 15-20 minute window that’s the optimum time to start absorbing carbohydrates. Drink plenty of water and continue to sip little and often throughout the evening.
2. The post-event meal should also be light and easily digested with a balance of starchy carbohydrates such as spinneysFOOD wholegrain pasta, sweet potato, wholegrain rice or bread plus lean proteins like chicken, fish, lean meat, eggs or a bean dish with steamed vegetables or salad to accompany.
3. Fresh cherries would be a great dessert as they are thought to help reduce muscle soreness, but any ripe fruits such as mango, papaya and pineapple that provide easily digested carbohydrates can also be enjoyed with perhaps some plain yogurt or a treat with a scoop of spinneysFOOD Sorbet.
WIN A PAIR OF TICKETS TO BALLET UNDER THE STARS WITH SPINNEYS!
Witness an evening of world-class ballet at the Four Seasons Resort Dubai at Jumeirah Beach. Ballet Under the Stars features performances from The Covent Garden Dance Company, accompanied by a warm welcome and three-course dinner served in a specially created dinner theatre.
With tickets starting at AED 550, we’re giving you the chance to WIN a pair of tickets! Click here to find out more...